BALTICS FOCUS DAY: TUESDAY 17 APRIL 2018
||Morning registration and coffee
||Chairperson’s opening remarks
EXPLORING THE BALTICS AS A NEW GROWTH MARKET WITHIN THE GLOBAL BIOMASS INDUSTRY
Keynote panel discussion: Exploring new policies and standards to drive the biomass market
- Exploring the benefits of biomass to stable energy prices and regional development
- Creating new energy legislation and policies in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania
- Meeting renewable energy targets by 2030
- What local government initiatives are available including investment support?
- What support programmes are helping to establish “bio-plants”?
Gustav Melin, Chief Executive Officer, SVEBIO (Swedish Bioenergy Association)
Remigijus Lapinskas, President, World Bioenergy Association
Reviewing Lithuania’s renewable energy strategy
Vilma Gaubyte, Director, LITBIOMA
- Assessing Lithuania’s role in creating a greener economy
- Understanding the role of biomass within the renewable industry in Lithuania
- Exploring the use of biomass in the district heating sector
- Comparing natural gas and biomass pricing
||Morning refreshments and networking
ASSESSING RAW MATERIAL AVAILABILITY AND TRADING OPPORTUNITIES
|Examining the availability and competitiveness of raw materials in the Baltics
- What is the current availability of raw materials and fibres in Latvia?
- Understanding different industries competing for fibre
- Assessing the potential availability going forward
- Exploring the pellet market: what are positives and negatives?
Chief Executive Officer, Graanul Invest
Utilities and producer panel discussion: Exploring new trading opportunities across Europe
- What are the current levels of pellet and chip production in the Baltics?
- How much of the current and future volumes will be used domestically?
- How much of the supply will go to Scandinavia and what are the current volumes for the rest of Europe?
- Where is the growing demand for Baltics wood chips and pellets in Europe?
- What current trade flows are opening up between Russia and the Baltics?
- What consumption is coming on stream in Russia and how will this impact supply to western Europe?
Arnold Dale, Vice-President, Bio-Energy, Ekman & Co
Morten Nielsen, Biomass Procurement Officer, Hofor
Michael Christensen, Chief Operating Officer, CM Biomass
Alexander Afanasyev, Managing Director, PelTrade
IMPROVING EFFICIENCY OF THE SUPPLY CHAIN
Panel discussion: Managing logistics and improving transport options from the Baltics
Didzis Palejs, President, AEBIOM, President, LATbio
- Exploring the current infrastructure to support biomass exports from the Baltics
- What storage is available and is there a need for more investments?
- Where are new terminals being built to support infrastructure and trade?
- Understanding plans to transport biomass in larger vessels
- How should pellets be delivered, including containers?
- How economical is it to export from the Baltics?
||Afternoon coffee and networking
Focused roundtable discussions
Join a table of 10-15 attendees and explore solutions to your number one challenge. Led by an industry thought leader.
Roundtable 1: Biomass demand in Scandinavia: Exploring the Scandinavian biomass market and demand for wood pellets and wood chips
Led by: Tom Searle, Manager, Argus
Roundtable 4: Exploring the Russian market: Trade between Russia and the Baltics
Led by: Alexander Afanasyev, Managing Director, PelTrade
||Roundtable leader’s conclusions
||Chairperson's closing remarks
||Close of Baltics Focus Day
||Ice-breaker drinks reception: shared with attendees of the Premium Pellets, Wood Chip Focus Days and Introductory Workshop